[Icecast] One Last EZstream Problem

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Fri Sep 20 16:02:26 UTC 2024

On Thu, 19 Sep 2024, Steve Matzura wrote:

> I'm noticing that when a streamed program file ends and the next one begins,
> sometimes the next streamed file will play for a second at double-speed, and
> if the previous file doesn't run to the full time for which it is scheduled,
> the stream that's relayed from the backup stream to the main one sometimes
> plays at half speed. I've had this happen before, but it somehow worked
> itself out. It now happens regularly, almost predictably on my new server.
> Did I forget to include something in my XML file--i.e., is the Icecast server
> getting confused about declared bitrates or something when files change?

first, it's worth knowing that MP3 streams don't always cope nicely with
this sort of thing.

However, I've seen double/half speed things happen when there is a
mismatch, either with sampling rates or channels.

You will most likely want everything to be 44100 Hz stereo, even if the
source material is mono.

Make sure that both your main and backup streams are being output in this
format.

HTH,
Geoff.