[Icecast] EZstream XML that used to work

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Fri Sep 20 15:41:44 UTC 2024

Hey Steve,

On Thu, 19 Sep 2024, Steve Matzura wrote:

> The problem seems to be with the <name> XML directive. I thought that if it
> is added to the <server> block, the name of the stream could be displayed in
> a player. I think the problem comes up if the contents of the server name in
> that directive is more than one word--i.e., contains spaces. I removed it,
> and the player again shows "no name" where I would expect to see one. How
> then does this work? I want to display my station name in this name field
> like I could with an older version of ezstream.

first of all, this looks like it needs to be within a <stream> tag inside
a <streams> tag.

The format of the config file has changed a lot since the early days.
There is a program called ezstream-cfgmigrate which may help if you still
have your original config file.

>From the ezstream-full.xml file that's in the doc/examples directory of
version 1.0.2:

   <!--
     Stream configuration
     -->
   <streams>
     <stream>
       <!--
         Identifying name (default: "default")

         NB: Only the "default" stream is supported at this point.
         -->
       <!-- <name>default</name> -->

This seems to indicate that the purpose of this parameter has changed
(it's been a *very* long time since I looked at this).

It also seems that the default value is "default", which is also the only
currently supported value.  This would explain the above error message -
there is no stream labeled "default".

So you can omit this parameter entirely.

What I think you want is <stream_name> which is also in the <stream>
section.  From further down the same file:

       <!-- Various other informational settings -->
       <stream_name>Test Stream</stream_name>
       <stream_url>http://localhost:8000/</stream_url>
       <stream_genre>Beeps</stream_genre>
       <stream_description>Test tones and noise</stream_description>
       <stream_quality>1.5</stream_quality>
       <stream_bitrate>16</stream_bitrate>
       <stream_samplerate>44100</stream_samplerate>
       <stream_channels>2</stream_channels>
     </stream>
   </streams>

HTH,