[Icecast] Strange behavior in Icecast 2.44 startup

epirat07 at gmail.com epirat07 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 20:32:50 UTC 2024

On 19 Sep 2024, at 22:08, Steve Matzura wrote:

> I have a script that starts Icecast, waits a couple seconds, then starts ices. When I installed it all on Ubuntu 20.04, it just worked. Well, it still works now, but with a wrinkle. If I execute:
>

> /etc/init.d/icecast2 start

Hi, as far as I understand „/etc/init.d/icecast2 start“ on your system just dispatches to systemctl so
would be the same as systemctl start icecast2

> I get:
>

> Starting icecast2 (via systemctl): icecast2.service==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.freedesktop.systemd1.manage-units ====
> Authentication is required to start 'icecast2.service'.
> Multiple identities can be used for authentication:
>  1.  Ubuntu (ubuntu)
>  2.  ,,, (tgvpadmin)
>  3.  Jackie McBride,,, (abletec)
> Choose identity to authenticate as (1-3):

The prompt means authentication is needed to run the command, hence you are asked to provide it.

This has nothing to do with Icecast itself but with your distribution and service management.