[Icecast] Strange behavior in Icecast 2.44 startup

Steve Matzura sm at noisynotes.com
Thu Sep 19 20:08:25 UTC 2024

I have a script that starts Icecast, waits a couple seconds, then starts
ices. When I installed it all on Ubuntu 20.04, it just worked. Well, it
still works now, but with a wrinkle. If I execute:

/etc/init.d/icecast2 start

I get:

Starting icecast2 (via systemctl): icecast2.service==== AUTHENTICATING
FOR org.freedesktop.systemd1.manage-units ====
Authentication is required to start 'icecast2.service'.
Multiple identities can be used for authentication:
  1.  Ubuntu (ubuntu)
  2.  ,,, (tgvpadmin)
  3.  Jackie McBride,,, (abletec)
Choose identity to authenticate as (1-3):

I absolutely did not set this up, nor have I ever seen this kind of
behavior with Icecast before now. How did it get this way, and how can I
undo this behavior? Particularly, I'd like tgvpadmin to be able to be
the only one (except root, of course) to be able to start it.

TIA