[Icecast] switching Masters in a Master-Slave Relay

Milton Huang mph at emotrics.com
Fri Jul 19 00:31:28 UTC 2024

I have a question about how the Master-Slave Relay works. Our current setup
has an Icecast master running on an AWS EC2 Instance, that feeds its output
to a few Icecast Relays on other EC2 instances which in turn connect to
clients via an AWS load balancer. To make the system more robust, we have
added a second Icecast master which all the Relays can switch to via a
change in the Routing Table.

My question is about the best way to manage such a switch. My understanding
is that each client is linked to the Master via their Relay, so if I pull a
switch, the connection will die and need to be reestablished with the new
master on the backup Instance. Do I need to set up a back channel to signal
a reset to the clients when I switch? Or is there some magic way to alert
the Relays to a switch so that they maintain client connections and change
the source?

Milton Huang