[Icecast] Public stats on beta

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Mon Jan 22 15:32:54 UTC 2024

On Jan 21, 2024, at 4:46 PM, Philipp Schafft <phschafft at de.loewenfelsen.net> wrote:

> The listener numbers have never been considered a secret. And it feels
> like they should not. I mean they even listed in the directory.
>
> If you really need to hide that information you need to seal all access
> to the server statistics and skip sending data to a directory service.

FWIW, in the US there are large companies (Nielsen/Arbitron) that charge significant fees for access to this type of information (often aggregated by geographical market and other metrics). So yes, I could see commercial stream operators being quite concerned about leaking this data to all-and-sundry.

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. |             Chief Developer             |
|                           |             Paravel Systems             |
|         A room without books is like a body without a soul.         |
|                                                         -- Cicero   |