[Icecast] Public stats on beta

TDAS talldarkandstrange at icloud.com
Sun Jan 21 22:09:28 UTC 2024

> Something else. Feel free to check out the link I gave you. ;)

I’ll have to have a dig around then. Appreciate your help, it’s just a bit urgent for us.

> The listener numbers have never been considered a secret. And it feels
> like they should not. I mean they even listed in the directory.

Try asking any small business to tell you exactly how many patrons they have on each given day. Perhaps it’s different from country to country, but here, that info is never shared. And the idea of having a running statistic online of that exact figure is crazy.

> If you really need to hide that information you need to seal all access
> to the server statistics and skip sending data to a directory service.

In my config I have:

<!-- Uncomment this if you want directory listings -->

So it appears the default was to have no directory listings.

> But again, that might break any number of things.

I’m not sure why it would break anything not sending data out to a directory? And dare I say, it shouldn’t!