[Icecast] perfect html player for Icacast ?

Philipp Schafft phschafft at de.loewenfelsen.net
Wed Jan 17 23:53:42 UTC 2024

Good evening,

On Wed, 2024-01-17 at 21:01 +0100, marc at clubcapelli.com wrote:
> hi friends, (sorry in advance if it is the wrong place to ask)
>
> i'm seeking the perfect player for a html website running a radio
> station feed by RadioDJ + Icecast

just to clarify this first: so you're in control of the Icecast and the
source client, correct?

> i need :
> - good compatibility (windows, [...], android

easy

> mac, [...], ios [...]

hard

> - display artist & title (send by my encoder in metadata)

This is a topic that clearly depends on the above. Apple support
basically dictates the technology, as everyone else is speaking
everything and apple is the limiting factor.

The question here might be what quality of the metadata you need. Is it
just a displayable string, or do you need something else?

> - cover and album : search & display by the player himself (in LastFM
> db ?) (or iTunes API?)

Ideally the album art is already in the metadata as sent by the source
client. For everything else details matter.

> - display last 5 or 10 played songs

That should not be a problem at all.

> from now i use this free one here :
> https://www.yesstreaming.com/free-html5-audio-player but i need a
> better one + the list from RCAST.net
> it works, but could be better, especialy some errors in accents in
> some band names

Metadata needs to be correct on your source client to begin with.
However specifically with legacy codecs this is often a problem as
there is no way to communicate the character set. (This is nothing we
can fix, we can only fix our products ;)

So generally more details are needed to help with that.

You said "seeking the perfect player". This sounds like you're having a
business usecase? Or is this a scientific question?

With best regards,

--
Philipp Schafft (CEO/Geschäftsführer)
Telephone:           +49.3535 490 17 92

Löwenfelsen UG (haftungsbeschränkt)     Registration number:
Bickinger Straße 21                     HRB 12308 CB
04916 Herzberg (Elster)                 VATIN/USt-ID:
Germany                                 DE305133015