[Icecast] Icecast exploits?

Jack Elliott that.jack.elliott at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 16:27:03 UTC 2023

Hi,

Our radio station has an Icecast server running on a Raspberry Pi. Some
of the radio hosts stream their live shows to the server to be put on
the FM broadcast.

A couple of days ago I saw that someone was connecting as a
source-client repeatedly, every 15 to 20 minutes for about two minutes,
then disconnecting, then after another 15 or 20 minutes, connecting
again then disconnecting. After 24 hours there had been over 160
connect/disconnect events. No audio was sent, just connect/disconnect. I
tracked the source to a StarLink IP address, so it could have been from
anywhere in the world.

After some investigation we found that one of our radio hosts had
forgotten to turn off her source-client (Audio Hijack) and it was
responsible for the robotic connect/disconnect dance.

While investigating I naturally thought that the source password might
have gotten into the wrong hands and perhaps some evil person was
attacking the Icecast server. Fortunately, it was not such a problem.

But I ask if there is any history of someone with the source password
hacking into the server computer to do Bad Things?

Thank you!

--
Jack Elliott
Director of Classical Music Programming