[Icecast] CONNECTION STATS

Philipp Schafft phschafft at de.loewenfelsen.net
Wed Feb 16 09:44:41 UTC 2022

Good morning,

On Tue, 2022-02-15 at 14:30 -0800, Milton Huang wrote:
> That is really cool. Are other parameters passed like IP address or
> user-agent? Hearing about this makes me want to create a script to
> track all current users, instead of retrospectively figuring out
> their connection and disconnection through the access/error logs.

There is a number of ways to access those information and there are
plans to make it even easier.

Just giving a little overview here:
 * access.log:
   all clients, updated at disconnect of each client
 * on-[dis]connect scripts/event subsystem:
   for sources only, push,
   triggered at the time of the event
 * URL auth:
   all clients, push, real time, can alter the client
 * stats.xml:
   all clients, pull, real time
 * STATS:
   statistic data including aggregated information on all
   clients, push, real time

Which is the best option depends a bit on your usecase. Also different
solutions require different levels of access to the server (filesystem
access, administrative access, admin and/or source credentials, ...).

All of the above is available in both 2.4 and 2.5. 2.5. improved a lot
things but the basics are very compatible.

Generally I would like to refer to the docs here:
https://icecast.org/docs/

Also over at Löwenfelsen we're having a presentation on URL auth on the
4th of March. If anyone is interested please ping me off-list.

> On Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 5:24 AM Chip <chiapas at aktivix.org> wrote:
> > Under your mountpoint settings you can state a program that is run
> > when the source is started/stopped.
> >
> > It is passed a parameter which is the name of the mountpoint that
> > is starting. The processing of the stream does not wait for the
> > script to end.
> >
> > [...]

With best regards,

--
Philipp Schafft (CEO/Geschäftsführer)
Telephon:  +49.3535 490 17 92

Löwenfelsen UG (haftungsbeschränkt)     Registration number:
Bickinger Straße 21                     HRB 12308 CB
04916 Herzberg (Elster)                 VATIN/USt-ID:
Germany                                 DE305133015