[Icecast] Running Icecast 2.5 as a service

Philipp Schafft phschafft at de.loewenfelsen.net
Fri Aug 12 12:06:51 UTC 2022

Good afternoon,

On Fri, 2022-08-12 at 20:10 +1000, Damian wrote:
> Perhaps it isn’t possible at this stage to run version 2.5 beta as a
> service... Is this the case?

No. And I'm honestly confused by you amusing something like that. The
way Icecast 2.5.x is started has not changed at all since before 2.4.x.

So... the way to run it as a service (and I think by that you mean as a
daemon) is exactly the same as for 2.4.x.

With best regards,

> > On 10 Aug 2022, at 10:59AEST, Damian <db76 at riseup.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hi, I’d like to know what the recommended (best practice) way is
> > for running version 2.5 beta 3 as a service. I imagine that simply
> > swapping out the binary of the stable version with the binary of
> > the beta version and running the daemon is not advised.

The correct way is to /install/ it. Just like you would with 2.4.x.

Swapping files is very likely to break things. Most users forget to
swap *all* parts. And if you do swap all parts, how is that any
different from uninstalling the old version and installing the new
version? ;)

With best regards,

--
Philipp Schafft (CEO/Geschäftsführer)
Telephon:  +49.3535 490 17 92

Löwenfelsen UG (haftungsbeschränkt)     Registration number:
Bickinger Straße 21                     HRB 12308 CB
04916 Herzberg (Elster)                 VATIN/USt-ID:
Germany                                 DE305133015