[Icecast] Setting UP a Simple Relay

Philipp Schafft phschafft at de.loewenfelsen.net
Sun Apr 10 20:41:00 UTC 2022

Good afternoon,

On Sat, 2022-04-09 at 17:38 -0400, Steve Matzura wrote:
> The documentation at
> https://icecast.org/docs/icecast-latest/relaying.html is very clear.
> I want to set up a one-time relay which will pull a program from a
> stream and relay it to the input port of a stream I already have
> running. What are the minimum requirements I'll need to set up the
> output side of this relay, above and beyond the obvious things like
> IP address and access credentials? Would it be reasonable to just
> clip out a copy of the top part of my existing icecast.xml, change a
> couple key things, like logfile name and temporary directory name,
> etc., and have a reasonable expectation of it working?

I'm not sure what you are asking for. So I try to give a little bit of
info, maybe it helps already:

There is nothing special about relays at all. Icecast config is exactly
as for any other stream. The only things is that a <relay>-tag is added
to start the corresponding internal source client (which replaces an
external source client).

As nothing else is different there are also no different requirements.
:)

Also, not fully sure what you mean by "temporary directory" as Icecast
does not write any temp files at all. (In fact it is completely safe to
operate it on a read-only filesystem.)

With best regards,

--
Philipp Schafft (CEO/Geschäftsführer)
Telephon:  +49.3535 490 17 92

Löwenfelsen UG (haftungsbeschränkt)     Registration number:
Bickinger Straße 21                     HRB 12308 CB
04916 Herzberg (Elster)                 VATIN/USt-ID:
Germany                                 DE305133015