[Icecast] Client has fallen too far behind

Marvin Scholz epirat07 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 18:19:28 UTC 2021

On 14 Oct 2021, at 19:22, Milton Huang wrote:

> I'm new to Icecast and this mailing list. I have set it up to run a
> continuous (unending) audio stream that is being generated by a Python
> script.  In my log I found an entry that said:
>
> [2021-09-17  06:03:53] INFO source/send_to_listener Client 620
> (XX.XX.XX.XXX) has fallen too far behind, removing
>
> The user gets kicked, and the listener count decreases.
>
> What does this mean? Is the client pausing too long or getting out of
> sync
> somehow?

Hi,

clients falling behind can have various reasons. Generally it means that
the listener client is at the end of Icecasts buffer, the size of which
is
configured with the queue-size option in the icecast.xml.

One reason for the client falling behind could be that the client is on
a slow network connection and can therefore not keep up with the live
stream.

Depending on how the client is implemented, it could be that it indeed
does not handle pausing properly, though with most clients that
shouldn't
be an issue anymore.

Yet another although rarer reason could be that you are streaming with a
very
high bandwidth, like for a video stream and did not adjust the buffer to
be large enough.

> What is the best way for me to learn what is happening, and how to
> prevent
> it?

There is not much you can do about without knowing exactly the reason
why
the specific client disconnected. And even then, as described above
might
be just a slow network connection. Seeing these messages about a client
being dropped is not that unusual.

However if you can reproduce this with your listener client, then you
should check
the logs of the client