[Icecast] fallback-override takes very long to switch back -- Is there a way to switch back immediately?

Lorenz Reichelt lr at pripple.de
Fri Feb 26 16:52:03 UTC 2021

Hi, thank you for Icecast!

I would like to be broadcasting mp3 audio for just about half an hour a day (at the moment via a hosted service), however, listeners are usually waiting and we have some interaction, so delay becomes an issue when it exceeds a couple of seconds.

I like the possibility to provide a fallback mp3 in the web root that is played if someone joins before we start to broadcast. However, as I have tried out multiple times, the delay is far longer then. If I am already broadcasting live or start in the seconds directly after someone joins, they get a delay of five to ten seconds. When they have listened to the fallback mp3 for half a minute before I go live, they receive my live audio with over a minute of delay. So, while someone joining later is directly connected with only a couple of seconds of delay, those already joining before have to listen to the fallback audio for over another minute before it switches to the live mount.

They are listening to an HTML5 element player like this:

<audio controls preload="none" id="player">
<source src="https://domain.name:port/mount" type="audio/mp3">
</audio>

With this mount configuration:

<mount type="normal">
<mount-name>/mount</mount-name>
<fallback-mount>/fallback.mp3</fallback-mount>
<fallback-override>1</fallback-override>
<fallback-when-full>1</fallback-when-full>
<intro>/intro.mp3</intro>
<hidden>1</hidden>
</mount>

Is there anything I can do about this to get those in the fallback loop switched to the live mount immediately?

Thanks for your suggestions and for this wonderful piece of software!

Lorenz