[Icecast] Prefered way to check if mountpoint is in use

Philipp Schafft phschafft at de.loewenfelsen.net
Fri Dec 10 11:45:36 UTC 2021

Good morning,

On Fri, 2021-12-10 at 12:02 +0100, tyctor wrote:
> hi, thanks for hints
>
> On Fri, 2021-12-10 at 00:27 +0000, Philipp Schafft wrote:
> > This is the 'correct' way. There is no point in checking first
> > beside
> > creating an extra race condition and more ways for the check to go
> > wrong. ;)
> >

> understand, no check, just to try to run ezstream, while mount point
> is not in use, am i right?

yes. Maybe it also has a auto-reconnect option.

> > Generally I would suggest to have a look at <on-disconnect>,
> > "mount_remove" option for URL auth, as well as the "source-
> > disconnect" event (Icecast 2.5.x).
> >
> > Those can provide triggers.
>
> <on-disconnect> should be the best way, but it seems not working in
> version 2.4.4-1 which we are using

I'm not aware of any bugs regarding it for 2.4.4.
However:
 * Please note that the option takes the path to what is to be
   executed. This is not passed to a shell so you can not include any
   commandline arguments. A set of standard arguments and a basic ENV
   is passed to the binary/script.
 * (Not the case for you) IPC functionality such as this may be limited
   on Windows systems.

> this seems is latest version in ubuntu 18.04
>
> $ apt-cache policy icecast2
> icecast2:
>   Installed: 2.4.4-1
>   Candidate: 2.4.4-1
>   Version table:
>  *** 2.4.4-1 500
>         500
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/multimedia:/xiph/xUbuntu_18.04
> ./ Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>

> or is there 2.5.x package, for ubuntu 18.04?

We are currently working on changing infrastructure here a bit.
There is this repo you could have a look at:
https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stephan48:/branches:/multimedia:/xiph:/beta/xUbuntu_18.04/

/!\ However it is at your own risk: it contains non-released code as
well as repo URL can/will change later on. /!\

> > I just wonder why not just send the backup signal to the fallback
> > all the time.
>
> probably i am not clearly understanding how you mean this :o)
> could you please describe it more?

I understand your setup this way: When there is no "master signal" you
want some kind of fallback signal that is provided by ezstream. And you
already have some source that provides a fallback: Why not let ezstream
run all the time and provide the fallback? This would make the setup
much less complicated.

With best regards,

--
Philipp Schafft (CEO/Geschäftsführer)
Telephon: +49.3535 490 17 92

Löwenfelsen UG (haftungsbeschränkt)     Registration number:
Bickinger Straße 21                     HRB 12308 CB
04916 Herzberg (Elster)                 VATIN/USt-ID:
Germany                                 DE305133015