[Icecast] making sense of the stats

Robert Jeffares jeffares.robert at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 17:34:10 UTC 2020

Justin...

On 27/03/20 2:55 pm, webmaster at berean-biblechurch.org wrote:

> Hi, Robert.  I appreciate the explanation.  Indeed, the terminology is
> not consistent or intuitive.
>
> So by your "4 services" you mean /sources/?

I mean 4 separate streams, in my case AAC+ for external transmitter
sites, 320mb/s mp3 [for logger], 256 kb/s for some streaming service, 56
kb/s mp3 for smartphones.

Yes they would be sources. In my case 4 varieties of the same programme.

I also use the same Icecast for Outside Broadcast [Remote] The outside
user mounts on port 8000 using BUTT.

> If clients are source connections (one and the same?), then how do we
> reconcile limits for both clients and sources?  Is it like saying,
> 'for all of the X sources, they can have a total of Y connections'?

By trial and error I figured out that each stream takes up more then one
connection. I configure 5:1. It works.

> How can I set limits on the number of /listeners/?  And this limit
> would be different than a limit on the number of /listener connections/"?

I think one is an accumulated total and the other is the number of current.

Max Listeners needs to be set so your broadband is not taken out by
overload.

ISP's choke upload unless you negotiate with them. We just went 100:100
at one site but most of the others are like 60:30 and some a lot less
than that.

Here is a report from an ADSL site. That upload manages 1 listener which
is an Icecast relay on fibre delivering the programme to 6 listeners.

Download: 15.91 Mbit/s
Upload: 0.85 Mbit/s