[Icecast] Streaming SSL / HTTPS with m3u file

Paul Martin pm at nowster.me.uk
Fri Jul 24 09:11:05 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 06:25:03AM +1000, Damian wrote:
> Hi, yes direct stream URLs work … I did test that, but I guess the
> issue is that most listeners want to click on a link rather than cut
> and paste a steam link into their players. It’s not an ideal way to
> attract traffic that passes through the radio website. It’s good to
> know that the issues I’ve asked about are not problems at my end
> though. Thanks for confirming these.

The m3u file can be stored anywhere. It doesn't have to be served by
icecast. It could be served by your radio station's website.

All it needs is to contain is a single line like:

https://icecast.example.com:8443/stream.mp3

(And yes, the M3U links from the Icecast status page are to "http" not
"https" even if you're looking at the status page via https.)

--
Paul Martin <pm at nowster.me.uk>