[Icecast] Multiple connections from iPhones

Philipp Schafft phschafft at de.loewenfelsen.net
Mon May 13 09:18:04 UTC 2019

Good morning,

On Thu, 2019-05-02 at 18:22 +0200, Sytze Visser wrote:
> Hi David
>
> I have seen similar behavior and the conclusion was that icecast will
> connect a client once for each connection request. The double connection is
> a result of the player/browser that possibly checks if it can connect and
> then establishes the actual connection.

This is what we suspect as well. However this behavior is not yet
unnecessary but even forbidden by the HTTP specification as HTTP is a
stateless protocol.

Basically clients doing this are not conforming to the HTTP specs.

> If you don't have control over the source code of the player, you might
> have to live with the issue.

As long as you want to support products by vendors that do not care
about standards you need to live with that I fear.

With best regards,

--
Philipp Schafft (CEO/Geschäftsführer)
Telephon: +49.3535 490 17 92

Löwenfelsen UG (haftungsbeschränkt)     Registration number:
Bickinger Straße 21                     HRB 12308 CB
04916 Herzberg (Elster)                 VATIN/USt-ID:
Germany                                 DE305133015