[Icecast] Webm files written without duration in header

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Wed May 1 18:51:12 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2019-05-01 at 19:56 +0200, Sytze Visser wrote:
> I read somewhere that MP4 is not supported on icecast, which is a
> pity. I have invested a lot in an icecast based audio solution and
> want expand it with video.

It all depends on what one means by 'MP4' (which is more a marketing
term than a technical one). AAC+ (aka 'high efficiency' AAC) works very
well on IceCast, albeit that only covers the audio side on the
equation.

> So my question is now:
> MP4 (H.264) is a close relative of HLS (can also be H.264) which
> brings me very close to a solution.

You're mixing apples and oranges here (pun accidental). H.264 is a
content encoding, like MPEG Layer III (so-called 'MP3') or OggVorbis.
HLS OTOH is a streaming architecture, and as such is largely orthogonal
to the content encoding used. It works by segmenting the media stream
into discrete files and then distributing them via HTTP(S). The big
advantage of this approach is that standard 'garden variety' web
servers (think Apache) can be used to serve the streams, which makes it
play particularly well with CDNs, at the cost of significantly greater
complexity in the encoder and player components. No specialized
'streaming server' (such as Icecast) is required in the HLS ecosystem
at all.

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. |             Chief Developer             |
|                           |             Paravel Systems             |
|  An expert is a person who avoids the small errors while he sweeps  |
|  on to the grand fallacy.                                           |
|                                              -- Benjamin Stolberg   |