[Icecast] Webm files written without duration in header

Sytze Visser sytze.visser at gmail.com
Wed May 1 17:56:49 UTC 2019

Hi there

Thanks Thomas. I was hoping to avoid remuxing as my objective is to run an
extremely lightweight server. Just tested and the CPU runs between 9% and
23% for a lecture of 90 minutes - took 18sec. Yes it's a lightweight
server, but like I said, that's the objective, and quite a nice challenge
:-) CPU = cost and if you have to remux for 1000 clients in a day,
integrity of live streams currently running are at risk. Going to put some
more thinking into it.

*You mentioned:*
"Does this mean you are using the dump feature to write the complete
stream to a file on the machine running Icecast?"

*Yes*. Curious as to why you ask. Can one perhaps point it to a named pipe
and pass to ffmpeg to remux and be a little more efficient on CPU?
Alternatively, can you do <dump-file>ffmpeg -c copy .....</dump-file> ? Is
it supported? Have been on Linux for less than a year so not sure if at all
possible? I have no idea yet what a 1000 fifo's will do.

*On another note:*
The other BIG issue is to support apple users. iOS/Safari seems to be 11%
of the market (https://caniuse.com/#search=HLS) and I cant ignore them.
Will have to use HLS to keep them happy but again the CPU overhead is
imminent as vorbis/VP8 is miles away from AAC/H.264. Icecast is very CPU
efficient ingesting, streaming and writing out a webm file, CPU 1-2%. Same
efficiency situation with nginx and RTMP streaming in and serving HLS to
iOS users. I read somewhere that MP4 is not supported on icecast, which is
a pity. I have invested a lot in an icecast based audio solution and want
expand it with video.

*So my question is now: *
MP4 (H.264) is a close relative of HLS (can also be H.264) which brings me
very close to a solution. If webm/ogv is supported but mp4 not, what is the
technical differences in how icecast handles the one and not the other?
What does icecast manage/do for supported formats as opposed to unsupported
ones?

Best regards