[Icecast] Logging file size and name

Thomas B. Rücker thomas at ruecker.fi
Thu Jun 6 06:11:34 UTC 2019

Hi Patricia,

On 6/5/19 4:26 PM, Patricia Moynihan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using Icecast 2.4.4 on Centos 7. This worked fine in the past on
> an old Windows machine but now I’m having issues getting the logs to
> change file size and name. I am trying to get my file size to be 2 MB

<snip />

> What I am getting from this are file default file names:
>
> access.log-20190428 as well as large file sizes, up to 27MB

Yes, it looks like CentOS is using "logrotate" - a standard tool for
managing log file size and history. This is competing with the internal
mechanism of Icecast that you enabled.

My general recommendation is to use the system tooling and - if
necessary - configure it to your needs. In case of Logrotate you can
configure retention, compression and some other parameters. The built in
Icecast functionality is mostly there to help people who deploy it
outside of the operating system context or on Windows.

For reference here's a link to RHEL 7 documentation (If you are running
CentOS 8, you'll have to look for RHEL 8):

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/system_administrators_guide/ch-viewing_and_managing_log_files

Cheers,

Thomas