[Icecast] Windows Source Client

Paul Martin pm at nowster.me.uk
Wed Jul 17 00:03:16 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 11:45:46AM -0400, Alex Hackney wrote:
> I'm looking for a good source client that runs on windows 10 that can take
> a feed and stream AAC MP3 and possibly Opus to my icecast2 server.

One thing to be aware of with Opus is that it natively runs at 48kHz
sampling.  If your input audio is anything other than 48kHz it will
have to pass through a resampling stage before the Opus encoder.

If you don't want that, Ogg Vorbis is an alternative and well supported.

MP3, Vorbis and Opus are not patent encumbered.  However, LC-AAC is
still under patent until the end of this year (original publication
date of 1999 plus 20 years). The patents on HE-AAC (AAC+) and HE-AACv2
(eAAC+) don't run out until the middle of the next decade at least.

--
Paul Martin <pm at nowster.me.uk>