[Icecast] Running version 2.5 beta as a service

Thomas B. Rücker thomas at ruecker.fi
Mon Feb 11 13:32:40 UTC 2019

Hi,

On 2/11/19 12:02 PM, Damian wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I apologise for my persistence with this. Perhaps my last question has
> already been answered in another thread. If so, could anyone please
> point me to it.
> Just needing to know how to enable Icecast as a service on Debian when
> installed from source. The option to enable it isn’t in the same
> directory (/etc/default/icecast) as when using apt-get install

You can either manually puzzle up the packaging. The source package can
be found alongside every package repository:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/multimedia:/xiph:/beta/Debian_9.0/

It's actually identical for all Debian and Ubuntu releases.

The other option is to build from source:

https://wiki.xiph.org/Icecast_Server/Git_workflow

so basically:

git clone --recursive https://git.xiph.org/icecast-server.git
cd icecast-server
./autogen.sh
./configure
make

Importantly: omit the "make install" and just manually replace the
binary - and if necessary the web and admin directories and the config.xml.
Basically "sudo cp src/icecast /usr/bin/icecast2" on a debian-ish system.

Cheers,

Thomas

PS: To EVERYONE participating in discussions on this mailing list. If
you want take ACTIVE part in discussions, then using a "digest"
subscription and replying to digest emails is frowned upon. It breaks
discussion threads and makes things really hard to read. Please don't,
we'll be eternally indebted and grateful to you. Thanks!