[Icecast] Icecast not connecting

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Tue Apr 23 09:31:11 UTC 2019

On Mon, 22 Apr 2019, Nelson, Emily wrote:

> I’m reaching out because our online radio station (sites.up.edu/kdup/) has stopped streaming in the last week - the website itself works fine but when anyone attempts to listen to the live music stream they receive a message that says “cannot connect to the server “icecast.up.edu.” Do we need to update the server, or is this a problem that someone else can take care of? Let me know if I should contact someone else, I appreciate getting feedback on how to fix this situation as soon as possible.

Hi Emily,

Here's what I'm seeing when I try to connect:

Failed to connect to icecast.up.edu port 8000: Connection refused

This means one of two things:

1.  The Icecast server software is not running.  This is the most likely
reason.

2.  A firewall has been configured to refuse conections to this port.

In the first instance, I would contact whoever it is who maintains the
machine where the Icecast server software runs, to see if the process
needs to be restarted.  If it does, you will probably want that person to
determine why it stopped in the first place and was not restarted, in
order to avoid down-time in the future.

If it is running and the firewall on that specific machine is not blocking
access to it, someone will need to contact whoever maintains the network
equipment that connects that machine to the Internet.  The server admin
will probably know who that should be.

There is a third, much less likely option, that the hostname
icecast.up.edu is pointing to the incorrect server.  I wouldn't worry
about this possibility until you have discounted both of the above
possibilities.

Good luck!

Geoff.