[Icecast] Short Title Bar

Philipp Schafft phschafft at de.loewenfelsen.net
Sat Mar 17 10:24:22 UTC 2018

Good morning,

On Fri, 2018-03-16 at 20:29 -0400, Steve Matzura wrote:
> It used to be that streamed titles could exceed thirty characters. Ever
> since I upgraded to I believe it was version 2.4.0, no matter what I
> send, there's a truncation of the artist-plus-title combined sting. At
> first, I thought it was an ices-cc problem, but it isn't, because when
> live programs connect to the input port, the title bar still cuts off at
> thirty characters. I've looked from end to end in the XML and the
> documentation but can find no reference to a length limit. Is it 2.4.x
> that's changed something? Something else?

2.4.x as well as 2.5.x has no changes that alter the supported length of
the metadata. For VorbisComment based codes (Vorbis, Opus, FLAC, ...)
the limits is at about 4GB. For WebM the limits are the same as per WebM
specs. For MP3 and AAC the limit is at about 4KB as per ICY brokenness.

"thirty characters" sounds like the old ID3 limit of 30 byte. (32 byte
minus termination minus track number).

Icecast also at no point truncate the metadata but logs a warning in
case meta data does not fit into the used transport. It will still show
the metadata in the status page. If the status page does show altered
metadata than this is what has been sent by the source client.

My best guess is that your software uses a tagging library that was
updated and now imposes this limit somehow.

With best regards,

--
Philipp Schafft (CEO/Geschäftsführer)
Telephon: +49.3535 490 17 92

Löwenfelsen UG (haftungsbeschränkt)     Registration number:
Bickinger Straße 21                     HRB 12308 CB
04916 Herzberg (Elster)                 VATIN/USt-ID:
Germany                                 DE305133015