[Icecast] Geoblocking on Icecast stations (radionomy)

Philipp Schafft lion at lion.leolix.org
Mon Dec 17 14:17:21 UTC 2018

Good afternoon,

On Mon, 2018-12-17 at 12:56 +0300, Gernot Meyer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I stumpled upon Icecast, but I effectively can only play few stations
> because somehow most of the stations that I'm interested in use the
> radionomy service. After some research I found out that I'm not the
> only one and that this company is blocking many countries worldwide:
> https://www.google.com/search?q=this+radio+station+is+not+available+in+your+country+site:board.radionomy.com
>
> Any chance to add a filter that filters out all stations relying on
> radionomy?

If they have a common feature that would be possible. But this is more a
question for our YP admins.

> I'm not planning on using my university's VPN for streaming
> music and it's quite a hassle finding a station that actually works.
>
> As the premise of the Xiph.Org Foundation is to "support and develop
> free, open protocols and software to serve the public, developer and
> business markets", it seems like a rather odd choice that one would
> include radio stations that rely on a service that blocks out a good
> deal of the worldwide population.

It's very simple: The directory is free for everyone to list. There is
no check if the station is inline with our mission. It's just that their
servers submit their streams on our servers just as everyone else does.

There is no action on our side to include them. An action would be to
remove them. And that is something that needs to be discussed. Blocking
some submissions based on non-technical factors is always a political
thing and musst be discussed on that level.

With best regards,

--
Philipp.
 (Rah of PH2)