[Icecast] Mount with Relay: Fallback-override does not work

Paul Martin pm at nowster.me.uk
Sun Aug 5 19:40:22 UTC 2018

On Fri, Aug 03, 2018 at 06:38:02PM +0200, ak18 at 5x9.de wrote:
>     <mount>
>         <mount-name>/Stream-096k.mp3</mount-name>
>         <max-listeners>2000</max-listeners>
>         <burst-size>122880</burst-size>
> <fallback-mount>/Stream-Recorded.mp3</fallback-mount>
>         <fallback-override>1</fallback-override>
>     </mount>

> Problem 1:
> In both configurations the fallback is played if the relay is offline. But
> if the stream of the relay is going to online, the listeners are not
> switched back from the fallback. Even if I wait hours, that does not happen.
> Currently I still use the older icecast-version 2.3.1 - so pherhals this
> could be the reason...

Fallback to a file just fills up buffers as fast as it can.  Not a
good idea at all as Icecast will keep buffering pretty much until it
runs out of memory if you're operating a relay.  Better to use a local
encoder (eg. liquidsoap) which does proper rate limiting.

"Note that the fallback file is not timed so be careful if you intend
to relay this. They are fine on slave streams but don’t use them on
master streams, if you do then the relay will consume stream data at a
faster rate and the listeners on the relay would eventually get kicked
off."

http://icecast.org/docs/icecast-2.4.1/config-file.html#relay

> Problem 2:
> I also found that <limit-rate> (I did not find this option in the
> dokumentation, why?)

Are you using the standard icecast2 or the kh (Karl Heyes) version?

--
Paul Martin <pm at nowster.me.uk>