[Icecast] Frauenhofer signing off on mp3, ogg stream player for Macs?

Robert Jeffares jeffares.robert at gmail.com
Mon May 15 22:25:43 UTC 2017

Jack,

I am using AAC+ encoded by Darkice and distributed on Icecast2 on a
Ubuntu server. I had to install a number of open source libraries and
compile darkice from source. No licence.

non-free means you build each one stand alone and can't re distribute.

Quality is excellent, and it runs on most players.

I kept some notes [see below]

I am using AAC+ to feed a couple of LPFM sites with almost zero errors
over what had been troublesome paths for mp3

HE-AAC audio v2 (with SBR + PS) is the superb audio encoder used to
encode high quality audio at really low bitrates (32 kbit/s). Quote from
Wikipedia "Data from this testing also indicated that some individuals
confused 48 kbit/s encoded material with an uncompressed original."

In order to quickly compile your ​libaacplus library, you can type the
following commands in your shell:

# apt-get install libfftw3-dev pkg-config autoconf automake libtool unzip
$ wget
http://tipok.org.ua/downloads/media/aacplus/libaacplus/libaacplus-2.0.2.tar.gz
$ tar -xzf libaacplus-2.0.2.tar.gz
$ cd libaacplus-2.0.2
$ ./autogen.sh --enable-shared --enable-static
$ make
# make install
# ldconfig

P.S. If you are using Ubuntu, you'll most probably have to use sudo for
the last 2 commands, like:

$ sudo make install
$ sudo ldconfig

In case that website above (hosting libaacplus) goes offline, you can
download the copy of that tar.gz file from here: (MD5:
3fc15d5aa91d0e8b8f94acb6555103da)

$ wget http://ffmpeg.gusari.org/uploads/libaacplus-2.0.2.tar.gz

More info at: ​http://tipok.org.ua/node/17

NOTE: libaacplus is a non-free library, so you won't be able to build
GPL alike FFmpeg with this library, i.e. your FFmpeg will not be
redistributable.

regards

Robert Jeffares