[Icecast] Strange Metadata Truncation in 2.43

Philipp Schafft lion at lion.leolix.org
Fri May 12 12:43:46 UTC 2017

Good morning,

On Fri, 2017-05-12 at 07:26 -0400, Steve Matzura wrote:
> I recently upgraded from 2.41 to 2.43.

There is no 2.41 nor 2.43. I guess you talk about 2.4.1 and 2.4.3. My
statements are for those releases.

> I feed my Icecast server with
> either a live stream or from EZStream. I am now finding that track
> title metadata never exceeds thirty characters. Is this new, or have I
> got something wrong in the 2.43 configuration?

There is no change between those two versions regarding that. The only
changes are a fix for URL Auth as well as a way how brokenness of
Microsoft's filesystem is worked around.

> I am actually using the
> same one I used for 2.41,  and I don't ever remember seeing anything
> in the XML that controls length of metadata fields. But it's 2.43, not
> 2.41, so something new may have appeared about which I do not yet
> know.

There is no such setting. The maximum length of a single Vorbis Comment
Tag is about 2^32-1 Byte (4GiB)[0][1].

I highly suspect that this is something in the source client not sending
data correctly. Feel free to provide the URL of your stream so I we can
have a look at it.

Have a nice day!

With best regards,

[0] Likely there is a much smaller limit as you may run out of memory
first.
[1] A maximum of 2^32-1 headers can be stored. The total vorbis comment
block would be 16 EiB large.

--
Philipp.
 (Rah of PH2)