[Icecast] Newbie question VoD streaming with Icecast

Nitin N nitin.workz at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 13:36:24 UTC 2017

Dear All,

I am curious to know if IceCast can be used for audio/video on-demand
streaming over http/https.

My basic understanding is that IceCast runs in broadcast mode. As such, it
may not be ideal for my particular use case, wherein, I wish to stream
media files on demand to multiple browser based clients who may request the
same media file at different times.

Is it possible at all  then to use IceCast as a VoD streaming server by
itself or in combination with an HTTP server like nginx or apache?

Kindly share your thoughts/experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Nitin