[Icecast] _Streaming_ AAC to HTML5 player

Jack Elliott thatjackelliott at kpov.org
Thu Jun 1 17:38:47 UTC 2017

I determined that iTunes running on a Mac, can play aac (not m4a)
streams, if the source-client quits and Icecast starts playing my .aac
fallback file, iTunes quits and annoyingly moves to whatever file it
considers to be next in its playlist. This with the fallback file
encoded at the same bitrate and samplerate. Same thing happens if the
fallback file is "containerized" as an m4a.

It's unclear whether Icecast is glitching when it mounts the fallback
file, or if iTunes is just a pig. Wait, iTunes is a pig. I despise
iTunes for so many reasons. It also won't play ogg.

--
That Jack Elliott
(541) 848 7021