[Icecast] Fallback stream not preventing a disconnect

Maarten Bezemer mcbicecast at robuust.nl
Tue Aug 29 08:36:40 UTC 2017

Hi Erwin,

Not sure if this might be related. Not sure if you are connecting the
fallback to another stream or to just a file. If it is a file, then you
can get buffering issues because most clients have buffers they can fill
with minutes of audio. If you fall back to a file that is pushed towards
the client at once, it can push a few minutes of audio in just seconds.

If you set up a locally pushed stream that takes into account the bitrate
of the fallback file, falling back to that file would only give 1 second
of data per second.

As for the 10-20sec delays: this is normal, because players buffer data
and usually only start playing if they have at least 10-15 seconds in
buffer. Streaming audio was never intended to be real-time. If you want
that, you need to use UDP data transport and fault-tolerant codecs such as
used in phone systems.

Best,
Maarten