[Icecast] Server kicking clients off

Jack Elliott thatjackelliott at kpov.org
Fri Apr 28 15:11:12 UTC 2017

"Live streams are not live, they can be up to 15 to 20 sec off original
encoding."

Something you become aware of very quickly when you're announcing into a
mic and have to wait to hear your words!

We do a bit of pre-show calibration with folks at the station to
determine how long the delay ("latency" in digital-speak) is at the
start of the remote broadcast, and start our remote announcing that
number of seconds before the start of the show so they come out of the
buffers at the right time. And at the end of the remote's broadcast day,
we do the same as latency tends to build up over the period of the show.
We often say, "and thank you for listening," a full 30 seconds before
the scheduled end of the remote so that the studio programming can take
over at the scheduled time.

For our setup there are two listen-clients: we knuckleheads monitoring
at the remote event, and a listen-client at the studio, which feeds the
broadcast console and thence to our radio listeners. The listen client
at the station won't fall too far behind because it's on the same LAN as
the Icecast server. It's us knuckleheads out at the remote, checking in
with the stream to assure that our stream is getting to the server, who
can get kicked off due to falling too far behind.

For music-grade stereo sound we encode to 192kbps mp3. Ogg might be
better-sounding, but they use iTunes and/or Windows Media Player at the
station to play the stream and mp3 is your lowest common denominator.
They fear change at the studio.

_Question_: can the icecast server be set up with two listen-client
mountpoints? Both using the same source-client mountpoint, with one
listen-client mountpoint for studio playback at the encoded bitrate, and
a second listen-client mountpoint re-encoded to a lower bitrate for us
knuckleheads to use at the remote end to monitor? That may add
additional latency for the re-encoding but it might be more reliable.

--
That Jack Elliott
(541) 848 7021