[Icecast] Server kicking clients off

Jack Elliott thatjackelliott at kpov.org
Wed Apr 26 20:58:44 UTC 2017

It's behaving as it is meant to: if a listen client gets too far behind,
Icecast2 server is kicking them off.

error.log says,

"INFO source/source.c Client 120 (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) has fallen too far
behind, removing"

I don't see a setting in icecast.xml that sets the value for "too far
behind". I'm guessing it's related to <queue-size>.

I wish Icecast could dump the buffer and bring the listen-client back up
to date instead of dumping the client. The reason being that when
network congestion causes Icecast to kick my listen-client off, the
client application just gives up. And this is a listen-client I'd like
to have running 24/7 so I can monitor the station's backroom server when
we are doing all-day music remotes.

I haven't found a media/url player that attempts re-connect when kicked
off. At least under Linux. On Windows a player called AIMP3 works great:
if it is disconnected from the server, it tries to reconnect. Over and
over and over. I like that behavior.

--
That Jack Elliott
(541) 848 7021