[Icecast] running an icecast server

Philipp Schafft lion at lion.leolix.org
Sun Jan 17 16:11:13 UTC 2016

Good evening,

On Sun, 2016-01-17 at 15:30 +0100, Edoardo Putti wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>

> I'm in the process of running an Icecast server and I would like to
> know some best pratices.
>

> 1. Should I place Icecast on port 8000 or should I change that to one
> more common (80, 443...)?

There is virtually no reason for changing the port. The only reason some
people bring up is that port 8000 may be blocked in some cooperative
networks. However my feeling about this is that if they block stuff you
don't need to care as they're likely not allowed to access your service
anyway.

> 2. Should I place the server behind a webserver like ngingx or apache?

DON'T. This will cause big harm in most cases.

Icecast is made for allowing ten thousands of simultaneous connections.
Apache for example is designed for several magnitudes smaller sets of
long running connections. You will just break your setup and waste a lot
resources on your systems.

> 3.Can I disable the login interface? what can be disabled?

Just set good passwords and don't use them plain over the internet and
you're perfectly fine. There is no need to disable the interface.

> My best guess is to run icecast behind a webserver, keeping icecast on
> port 8000 and refusing everything that is not a request for a legit
> mount, adding a custom admin url.

see my answers above.

In general I very, very much recommend every starter just to change the
passwords to some good ones and that's it. The defaults work for
virtually every station. A complicated setup is complicated to run and
maintain. Likely to break sooner or later. Icecast is made for just
working. That means a simple setup is always preferred in Icecast
context!