[Icecast] Icecast won't start on system boot

"Thomas B. Rücker" thomas at ruecker.fi
Thu Mar 26 06:58:17 UTC 2015

On 03/26/2015 02:29 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:
> It fell over earlier in the day and I found it d.o.a. The logs--access
> and error--were clean.

Did the error.log show any signs of it shutting down or did it just end
abruptly?

>  I booted the system, which came back nicely,
> but without Icecast running. I ran it manually with
>
> /usr/bin/icecast -c /etc/icecast.xml &
>
> and everything was fine. Of course I had to start streaming services
> manually, but that was OK, considering there was nothing for them to
> talk to without Icecast running.
>
> So I thought I'd see if either the access or error logs showed
> anything. They didn't. In fact, I can find no place on the system
> where what happened was logged. Thinking I'd maybe find a clue by
> looking at the system console during the boot sequence, I enabled
> that, and watched as the system rebooted a second time. Still nothing.

Fedora 20 uses systemd. Have you checked the journal for the output when
Icecast start up failed?

> Without a traceback or stack dump or *anything* to look at, I'm rather
> at a loss. What really gets me is not knowing what could have happened
> during the day to cause Icecast to fall over of its own accord, which
> could mean I may have done something without even knowing I did
> anything.

Depending on your system configuration there might be at least some
vague note in the journal about a process segfaulting or such. I know at
least Ubuntu logs segfaults, not sure about Fedora.
If this happens again, you could set up coredumps. That would get us
something to debug.

>  But it's a new system, nobody's losing millions of anything
> over this, and I'm still learning.

Hehe, I'm sure we'll all learn something from this.

Cheers

Thomas