[Icecast] change port in autogenerated playlist links

"Thomas B. Rücker" thomas at ruecker.fi
Sun Jan 25 17:31:10 UTC 2015

On 01/25/2015 04:22 PM, Marko Cupać wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 15:06:45 +0000
> "Thomas B. Rücker" <thomas at ruecker.fi> wrote:
>
>> On 01/25/2015 02:27 PM, Marko Cupać wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am using icecast2-2.4.1,1 on FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE. In order to be able
>>> to stream on port 80, I have redirected port 8080 to port 80 by means of
>>> firewall on icecast server itself (packet filter):
>> <snip />
>>
>> Sorry to say, but "you're holding it wrong", also we just don't support
>> this.
> I agree this setup is "unusual",

It's actually quite common. After all port 80 is _the_ IANA port for
HTTP (and so is 443 for HTTPS, which we support too).

>  and I understand you don't support it,
> but I do not see what makes it "wrong".

It was a joke in reference to:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=You%27re+Holding+It+Wrong
Sort of self-criticizing, as there are a couple of issues with how we
are handling ports and URLs in the generated playlists. This will likely
improve once we get around to rewriting our HTTP engine to support HTTP
1.1, which is a target for the feature release following after 2.5, so
likely in about 2 years. No promise if we will work 100% on port
redirects, that's always a problem to support.
Also we could document the case of port 80/443 explicitly.

>> The proper way to do this is to configure <security><changeowner> and
>> start Icecast as root. It will then bind to port 80 and drop itself to
>> the restricted user/group provided.
> I am starting icecast as root (by rc script), and I was already changing
> owner to nobody/nogroup as suggested in example config file. So all I
> needed to do was to change the port.
>
> Thank you,

Glad you got it sorted.

Cheers