[Icecast] icecast and proxy

"Thomas B. Rücker" thomas at ruecker.fi
Wed Feb 25 11:09:16 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 02/25/2015 10:49 AM, Simone Dal Maso wrote:
> Hello,
> sorry for all these questions, but there is a great news, this is the
> last! ... of the day :-)
>
> So:
> I run nvRadio on port 8000, that is a problem for all people that are at
> work, behind firewall or protected environment.
> So, I thought that a proxy can be the solution for streaming on port 80.
> I enabled the apache2 proxy and, yes, if I type:
> www.nvapple.it/stream

The answer is:
DO NOT UNLESS YOU FULLY UNDERSTAND THE IMPLICATIONS!
If you have to ask yourself "what are the implications?", you don't.
You can easily kill your web server and other things can break too.
Icecast explicitly does NOT support being reverse proxied!
We recommend to bind Icecast directly (start as root, use changowner) to
port 80 on a separate IP address.

> the stream  is ok also now that I am on my office, on port80!
>
> The problem is that if I look at the IP of people that are connected,
> visiting icecast's admin panel, I see always the ip of my machine, and
> it is unfortunately right, because they are listening through apache2
> proxy. [...]
> Do you know other solutions that can show me the ip of people or this is
> the right one?

As Icecast does not support being reverse proxied, it will only show and
log the IP of the reverse proxy.

We are considering to make Icecast more reverse proxy friendly, but the
inherent risks of a reverse proxy setup remain.
https://trac.xiph.org/ticket/1959
https://trac.xiph.org/ticket/1851

Cheers

Thomas