[Icecast] where can I find a "now playing" scripts

"Thomas B. Rücker" thomas at ruecker.fi
Wed Feb 25 09:34:52 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 02/25/2015 08:42 AM, Simone Dal Maso wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm quite amazed that, after researching in Google, I can't find a
> simple script that use Icecast to provide simple statistics like song
> title, song author and a little history of the songs of my radio.

In the past we recommended writing custom XSLT code to tailor output to
your specific needs.
There are some old and horrible examples that I did:
http://ruecker.fi/foss/icecast/xslt/

XSLT is not necessary everybody's favorite though, so there isn't /that/
much around for it.

> Oh, I found a php script that parses the xhtml page and it is not
> recommended by Icecast team.

Yes, scraping HTML is bad, as we don't see the web interface as an API
and change it, even within minor releases.
Case in point: 2.5 is going to have a completely new and shiny web
interface.

> Should I restart learning how search on Google or do you know where can
> I find a script that I can embed on my website?

No, your finding is pretty much correct, right now you can probably
mostly find crap.
BUT I have good news for you! In Icecast 2.4.1 we released a fully
working JSON API and make it available as CORS ACAO * (if you use the
default config or copy the HTTP-header part from it).
So you can just head over to
http://stream.example.org:8000/status-json.xsl and use the available
data directly from your website's JavaScript.
Bonus points if you post your Javascript somewhere publicly and let me
know, so I can link to it from icecast.org.
It's also being worked into our documentation:
http://icecast.org/docs/icecast-trunk/server-stats.html#json

Cheers

Thomas