[Icecast] Listener statistics on a fallback stream

Jeroen van Oosten jvoosten at bankai.nl
Sun Dec 6 12:13:35 UTC 2015

Hello,

I've come across a small problem and I'm not sure it's a bug or a
misconfiguration in icecast, so I thought I'd ask here.

The situation: we have an automated radio station that is fed from a
dedicated virtual machine with SAM broadcaster. I set up a stream with a
fallback mount; SAM connects to the fallback. Now, whenever the DJ wants
to broadcast live all he has to do is start up his studio and connect to
the 'real' stream, thus taking over the stream without having to logon
to the server, stop encoders, etc. When he's done he disengages the
stream and listeners are automatically back on the automated stream.
This setup may be somewhat unusual in that we're running in "fallback"
mode most of the time.

The problem I have is that the listener statistics are now on the
fallback stream, not the 'real' one, so now are listener graphs are flat
at zero :( Of course I could pull the statistics from the fallback
mount, but then we won't have listener stats for when we're live.

To me it sounds like a bug; surely the fallback never needs statistics,
only the real steam because this is where listeners connect to. Or maybe
I need a different configuration.

This the portion of my configuration that deals with the streams:

    <mount type="normal">
        <mount-name>/high.mp3</mount-name>
        <fallback-mount>/high-server.mp3</fallback-mount>
        <fallback-override>1</fallback-override>
    </mount>
    <mount type="normal">
        <mount-name>/high-server.mp3</mount-name>
        <public>0</public>
        <hidden>1</hidden>
    </mount>

Listeners are directed to http://radiogfm.dyndns.org:8200/high.mp3, SAM
connects to .../high-server.mp3. There are also 2 ACC+ streams with the
same structure.

So, what I want to know is: how do I get the proper listener statistics
from /high.mp3? Is it a bug? Is there a different configuration that
will work? The main requirement is that switching over to live streaming
is effortless, i.e. just turn on the encoder on the DJ machine and start
streaming.

Thanks in advance,

Jeroen

--
Bankai Software
Jeroen van Oosten
E-mail: jvoosten at bankai.nl
KvK inschrijving: 24455492

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." --Red Adair