[Icecast] Metadata configurablity in Icecast

Philipp Schafft lion at lion.leolix.org
Fri Nov 21 15:59:42 UTC 2014

flum,

developer here :)

On Fri, 2014-11-21 at 17:06 +0200, Geoff Shang wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2014, "Thomas B. Rücker" wrote:
>
> > On 11/21/2014 02:21 PM, Geoff Shang wrote:
> >> I would like to request that this be configurable somehow.  I agree
> >> that this is undesirable under most circumstances, but there are
> >> situations where this is required.
> >
> > It has been requested before and the answer is still the same, we have
> > it on our radar and it will happen in the future. If someone wants to
> > make sure it's in the $next_release, then possible avenues are:
> > - sending a patch (after discussing how to approach this, see below)
> > - sponsoring development of a patch (I'd expect this to be in the 0.5-2h
> > range)
>
> How much money would be needed??

I talked with Mr. Rücker about this one.
We are going to have some other changes in the auth code soon^TM.
This may be related. So we aren't exactly sure how your request fits in
best.
So best delay that question to when I know what to do.

> > I'm partial to KISS and just put a big switch in (option 1).
> > Just to be clear, *anyone* with mountpoint credentials is then able to
> > mess with metadata from anywhere... We disabled this completely for a
> > good reason (leaving it open to the administrator account).
>
> Oh I didn't realise the admin account could override this.  This makes it
> less pressing, though still nice to have.

What is your schedule? How fast do you need it? Could we target a fix
for in about a week?

Also: would it be ok for you to have a global user that is allowed to do
that or does it need to be the source user or does it need to be any
source user (anyone allowed to stream to that mountpoint)?

That is a very important question to answer the above!

Thank you and have a good evening!

--
Philipp.
 (Rah of PH2)