[Icecast] Metadata configurablity in Icecast

"Thomas B. Rücker" thomas at ruecker.fi
Fri Nov 21 15:01:27 UTC 2014

On 11/21/2014 02:21 PM, Geoff Shang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2014, "Thomas B. Rücker" wrote:
>
>> Unrelated to liquidsoap, if you use mountpoint credentials to update
>> metadata for a stream, but are on a different IP than the connected
>> source client, that will fail.
>
> I would like to request that this be configurable somehow.  I agree
> that this is undesirable under most circumstances, but there are
> situations where this is required.

It has been requested before and the answer is still the same, we have
it on our radar and it will happen in the future. If someone wants to
make sure it's in the $next_release, then possible avenues are:
- sending a patch (after discussing how to approach this, see below)
- sponsoring development of a patch (I'd expect this to be in the 0.5-2h
range)

2.4.2 is penciled in for early 2015 (end of year is unlikely on my
behalf due to 31C3 and such). Feature freeze would likely occur mid
December.

> I would like to suggest a couple of possibilities.
>
> 1.  The ability to turn the feature on and off.  This may not be the
> best route but it may be the simplest to implement.
>
> 2.  An option to allow metadata from the local host as well as the
> source address.
>
> 3.  The ability to specify a whitelist of allowed IP addresses.

I'm partial to KISS and just put a big switch in (option 1).
Just to be clear, *anyone* with mountpoint credentials is then able to
mess with metadata from anywhere... We disabled this completely for a
good reason (leaving it open to the administrator account).

> Being able to do this on a per mount basis as well as globally would
> be ideal.

Not sure if I want to carry the complexity for this. It's a niche
feature already, this would be a niche within a niche...

Cheers

Thomas