[Icecast] Metadata configurablity in Icecast

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Fri Nov 21 14:21:15 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014, "Thomas B. Rücker" wrote:

> Unrelated to liquidsoap, if you use mountpoint credentials to update
> metadata for a stream, but are on a different IP than the connected
> source client, that will fail.

I would like to request that this be configurable somehow.  I agree that
this is undesirable under most circumstances, but there are situations
where this is required.

One example I can think of.  I was working for an organisation that needed
to track metadata for royalty reporting.  The playout software in use sent
metadata, including album and record label, to a PHP script via a get
request.  This script filed it in a MySQL database, along with other
details like date and time, source IP and listener count, and also passed
the metadata on to the streaming server.

Such a setup would not work on current Icecast.

Another example was just posted to the mailing list.  The idea of being
able to put details in a cue file which could be used to send metadata
during the repeat of a live show.  Rather than needing support in the
source client, an external utility could be fired off at the same time
playout commences, and the metadata could be sent at the right time from
potentially a different IP address.  The above-mentioned database, for
example, could be used for this sort of thing in addition to its original
purpose.

There are probably other applications.  I know of at least one regular
poster to this list who has not upgraded their Icecast installation
because they rely on this feature.

I would like to suggest a couple of possibilities.

1.  The ability to turn the feature on and off.  This may not be the best
route but it may be the simplest to implement.

2.  An option to allow metadata from the local host as well as the source
address.

3.  The ability to specify a whitelist of allowed IP addresses.

Being able to do this on a per mount basis as well as globally would be
ideal.

Thoughts?

Geoff.