[Icecast] Icecast concept

"Thomas B. Rücker" thomas at ruecker.fi
Fri Nov 21 10:37:17 UTC 2014

Hi,
On 11/21/2014 08:52 AM, Maarten S wrote:
> I have installed Icecast on a VPS server as trial set up. Works very
> well and easy to understand. Thanks!
>
> This does lead to 2 questions:
>
> My intent is to set up a server to host various sources, providing
> each one of them their dedicated stream channel. If I have enough
> bandwidth, what is the maximum number of sources in Icecast that can
> be set up and streamed at the same time?

Most users won't reach that limit. Without further modifications, I'd
expect it to be in the hundreds. There is currently no known limit when
it comes to the number of listeners. Most installations run out of
bandwidth before they reach any significant system load - to spell it
out it's at least tens of thousands.
I know of instances that run up to 3000 streams in parallel, but I think
there the Icecast code had to be modified to achieve this.

> The documentation of Icecast states "It is very versatile in that new
> formats can be added". Does this meam also other formats than Ogg
> Vorbis or MP3 can be streamed?

Yes, we also officially support Opus (inside an Ogg container), Theora
and WebM, to name the most popular ones.
Known to work, but not officially supported are codecs like AAC and
h.264, but there we simply pass through the stream in "legacy mode" to
avoid any possible IPR issues.

Cheers

Thomas