[Icecast] icecast with midi/video

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Tue Jul 1 11:20:17 UTC 2014

On Tue, July 1, 2014 9:06 pm, "Thomas B. Rücker" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 07/01/2014 09:48 AM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>> I am evaluating icecast for a project that requires video and/or midi
>> data
>> with the stream.
>>
>> I am bandwidth limited upto 20Mb/s so icecast would provide a good base
>> work from for low bitrate audio streaming.
>>
>> Ideally I would like to be able to serve data to 20 client devices.
>
> Accounting for overhead, etc. that will still leave you with the better
> part of a Megabit per second per client. That's plenty.
>

>> I am considering the tradeoff between streaming video content and
>> triggering video data with midi events.
>
> The work overhead might be significant to pioneer something like MIDI or
> work out something with Kate (in Ogg) in addition to the audio stream.
>

>> Do you have any suggestions for using icecast in this system?
>
> The easy way out is obviously to go with video to keep audio/video in
> sync. With the information you provided it sounds like you have ample
> head room for that in terms of bandwidth.
>
> I'm going to say this smells like an art installation or such. Are you
> sure you mentioned all constraints and requirements?
> e.g. Icecast (and any http based stream for that matter) are NOT
> suitable for real-time streaming, nor highly synchronized broadcast.
> This means that there is substantial lag (>1s, 10s typical) and clients
> do drift apart for a variety of reasons.

It's more of a business product built with open source technology than an
installation. The sync issue is a problem if it cannot be controlled. In
that case it seems like netjack might provide a more robust connection
protocol.

Has anyone here any thoughts on integrating icecast technology with
netjack to provide near sample accurate sync with low bitrate audio? (upto
1000ms latency)

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd