[Icecast] icecast with midi/video

"Thomas B. Rücker" thomas at ruecker.fi
Tue Jul 1 11:06:21 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 07/01/2014 09:48 AM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> I am evaluating icecast for a project that requires video and/or midi data
> with the stream.
>
> I am bandwidth limited upto 20Mb/s so icecast would provide a good base to
> work from for low bitrate audio streaming.
>
> Ideally I would like to be able to serve data to 20 client devices.

Accounting for overhead, etc. that will still leave you with the better
part of a Megabit per second per client. That's plenty.

> I am considering the tradeoff between streaming video content and
> triggering video data with midi events.

The work overhead might be significant to pioneer something like MIDI or
work out something with Kate (in Ogg) in addition to the audio stream.

> Do you have any suggestions for using icecast in this system?

The easy way out is obviously to go with video to keep audio/video in
sync. With the information you provided it sounds like you have ample
head room for that in terms of bandwidth.

I'm going to say this smells like an art installation or such. Are you
sure you mentioned all constraints and requirements?
e.g. Icecast (and any http based stream for that matter) are NOT
suitable for real-time streaming, nor highly synchronized broadcast.
This means that there is substantial lag (>1s, 10s typical) and clients
do drift apart for a variety of reasons.

Cheers

Thomas