[Icecast] Looking for company behind serverhostingcenter.com and directhostingcenter.com for causing problems on dir.xiph.org

"Thomas B. Rücker" thomas at ruecker.fi
Mon Dec 29 14:25:51 UTC 2014

On 12/29/2014 02:04 PM, Geoff Shang wrote:
> Have you tried doing a whois on the *IP address* and contacting the
> hosting company (assuming it's not one of the above)?

The IP range I checked belonged to some big data center company. I don't
remember if I tried to reach them too, probably did.
I haven't heard back from any of those.

I've probably spent several days worth of work on tracking down various
problematic Icecast instances and don't feel like wasting more time on
sending emails to addresses like "public.whois.lookup.emaill.address@"
(actual local part on whois email!).

I sent this email to the list in the hope someone would actually know
the company.
I know how to use whois for networks and domains, but I'm not willing to
waste *more* time on that. The directory is a free service and it's my
time that goes into maintaining it and I'm not willing to pour more time
into finding some hoster who thinks playing hide and seek is cool. If
someone wants to pay me to play internet detective, contact me off list.

Cheers

Thomas