[Icecast] Icecast AAC FLV Container

dtouch3d completely dtouch3d at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 16:23:20 UTC 2014

Hello,

I am using Icecast v2.4.1 to to stream AAC audio to web clients through
jPlayer. If HTML5 is not supported then it uses Flash Player.

The problem is that Flash player does not play AAC streams as is, and from
a quick google search someonw suggested I append "?type=.flv" to the url. I
cannot make it work though as whatever I request, I get a response with
mime type "audio/aac". For example (working links):

curl "http://148.251.184.14:18002/chr_80s?type=.flv
<http://s1.chromaradio.com:18002/chr_80s?type=.flv>" -o /dev/null -D -

and

curl "http://148.251.184.14:18002/chr_80s
<http://s1.chromaradio.com:18002/chr_80s?type=.flv>" -o /dev/null -D -

returns mime type "audio/aac".

Now I remember that I got it to work some time ago, probably with an older
icecast version, and I remember that it was working as expected, and with
the extra string at the end I would get mime type "video-x-flv". Does
anyone have an idea about the problem ? Also, can anyone point me to the
documentation about the type=* option ?