[Icecast] Opus vs. Vorbis

TheDarkener thedarkener at logicalnetworking.net
Fri May 31 14:43:35 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I've been looking at opus lately as a replacement to vorbis and it sure
seems to me that, at least on paper, it is the 'next generation'
streaming codec. Has anyone been using opus as a streaming codec to
Icecast? If so, how do the following general characteristics compare to
vorbis?

+ Quality
+ Latency
+ Bandwidth
+ Performance (on stream client and Icecast server)
+ Stability

Also, what use case in your setup (voice only, music, pre-recorded files
vs. live input, ?) Any input is greatly appreciated. I understand there
is little support (compared to vorbis, anyway) for opus, but I'm hoping
to help change that at least a little bit.

Cheers,
Jordan

--
Jordan (PGP: 0xDA470FF8)