[Icecast] ICECAST CONFIG

Scott Winterstein scottsdeskcpu at yahoo.com
Thu May 9 10:17:25 UTC 2013

Hello all reading this. I am new to the list as a way to learn a few
things about IceCast and I am fuzzy on. I am not a total noob to
media, or serving it. I have even developed, setup configured, a media
server, or two, and many many dedicated, or otherwise hosting servers,
and by either blind luck and chance found them to actually work once I
was done. I am Scott,  am in the process of building a linux IceCast
server. I hope you don't mind my walk down memory lane but It pertains
to the quandary.

Back in the day ( late1997 ish) I was developing, some of the first
early proof of concepts of streaming media servers, and streaming
websites. We had 3 parts to the early versions of these media systems.
We were also already developing, ideas for a streaming solutions our
supplier of hardware and software was ViewCast's early Osprey, who's
hardware consisted in large, and supplied through companies acquired
by PolyCom. PolyCom's Hardware/Software solutions through acquisitions
of many players at the time, were alot of the same stuff, their
motivation of course, to produce early Teleconference products, and
snap up major stakes in Streaming Media.

One box was an encoding server that was used to encode the video/audio
into digital format. The second was a server with a T1 internet
connection and dedicated IP, the encoded video/audio files were
stored. The third was a IIS webserver same T1 internet connection but
different IP. We were working on early ideas, and developing caching
servers too.

I would via 1 single live (60 min. 548 kbps @24 fps) instance  in a
basic player of shock wave flash code embedded in a webpage,
broadcasting without issue that single data rate, and don't recall
ever requiring a calculation involving per viewer being needed to
calculate bandwidth requirements, as it is a single instance of one
data rate correct? As I recall the only variable required was the
effective data rate of the broadcast stream. So as shown above you
need at least a 548 kbps connection at both ends of the Broadcast to
watch it with no issues, by 1000's at the same time, and don't see how
a per person suddenly came into the picture in broadcasting media.
Only if you had say, 30 live (60 min. 548 kbps @24 fps) instances of
that same video/audio sources broadcasting in embedded players at the
same exact time in different webpages to 30 separate viewers on the
same T1, would you need to use a calculation, to determine that at
least 1048576kbps bandwidth would be required. Maybe I forgot
something, or these people providing IceCast broadcasting host
connections, are charging people right, and making very little
profits, or they are raping people using their services to broadcast
their stream?? IDK?

I said all that to ask this. One of my reasons for considering my own
IceCast server to stream, is the outlandish pricing of the IceCast
hosts. Can someone tell me my calculations that I have to use I mean
by my calculations, one broadcast stream at 128kbps would require
128kbps of my current internet connection, not dependent upon how many
listeners I have.

One last thing...

Can someone paste me a base config text with the default stuff
stripped out? I tred a few times and messed the file up.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Scott Winterstein

EMAIL: scottsdeskcpu at yahoo.om
WEBSITE: www.ScottsDesk.net